Saturday, June 24, 2006

WORLD CUP DOWNUNDER


For someone who has been guilty of never being very interested in 'SOCCER' I must say I'm finding myself getting quite excited about it in recent times. I truly never thought the hype would rub off on me, and the ridiculously addictive discussion about (who might beat who, and if they beat them, then they'll go through and I reckon the form of that team is lookin better than....etc etc). But actually when your country is in it, a part of you is there.

Ask me a year ago if I ever thought I'd be getting up at 3am in the morning to go and watch that crap game called 'SOCCER' and I may have answered with a resounding - "JEEPERS MATE - what 'dya think I am, I already have a previously diagnosed problem with waking up at dawns crack, let alone watching some greasy haired spankers prancing around at 3 in the morning, diving at every opportunity they can get to earn a free kick cause they're too gutless to actually admit that the guy was too good for them in the clinch......STOP IT WITH THAT DIVING BUSINESS......I HATE DIVING, if there's one thing they gotta do, its get rid of those prissy little poofos who keep DIVING!!!

anyway.........so now I get to Thursday night, AUS V CROATIA - biggest game in OZ history, to put us into the next round. Well bugger me, haven't my opinions somewhat readjusted now that I have some sort of 'investment' in the worlds BIGGEST SPORTING EVENT. I find myself trying to get a few hours of shut-eye, waking up every hour or so, thinking I've missed Veduka and his men marching up the ramp.....I couldn't help it, my heart was racing and I had to get down to the pub to watch it.

All I can say is that I think this world cup is definitely going to change the Aussie sporting culture. A game of this magnitude, on this world stage is what our dreams are made of down-under. We grow up with sport as our motivation, in our veins, talked about at dinner...and we love the sports we're good at (which is most of the majors) but not until now, have we had the inspiration to embrace the worlds BIGGEST crowd puller.


ROUND OF 16
AUS V ITALY - may the revolution continue...


PS.. thanks for a great article Tom

8 Comments:

Blogger Simon said...

Nice blog man. My thoughts are very similiar to yours re the whole 'soccer' thing. And what is wrong with calling it soccer anyway? Am quite excited myself with the prospect of Australia a 'chance'against soccer powerhouse Italy. Even going to subject myself to watching at a house that will be full of the opposition. Can't wait!!! BRING EM ON!!!!!

4:01 AM  
Blogger Derek said...

..."watching some greasy haired spankers prancing around at 3 in the morning..."

love it.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Tom Read said...

Too right about the divers...although every team seems to do it now. I reckon they should give a yellow card to the fairies who roll around and fake injuries.

I'll be rooting for the Aussies against Italy...you might just pull it off!

10:30 AM  
Blogger jana* said...

so! the beast finally updates! figures it would be about the world cup. i have to admit as a canadian i've never been into SOCCER much either, but this year it's really pulled me in too. even without my country being in it. but i have a new found love for africa and i'm rooting for GHANA!! the ultimate underdog!!! i'm sure they'll do fine against brazil.... i mean, who are they anyway??

have a spankin good time in europe!! we won't see you til end of august. we'll be in canada when you come back to hk. take loads of pics!! tell peta i'll miss her!

10:35 AM  
Blogger Little Sis said...

Ha - love it! My sentiments EXACTLY. Except I got too pissed on Thursday night and slept right through the Croatia game....I was so annoyed because I'd stayed up to watch each other game and then missed the biggest one of all!! Anyway works given us a late start tomorrow so I will sitting in my aussie colours at 1am ready to view Australia work toward again become the dominate force in a football code!

4:34 PM  
Blogger Derek said...

i'll be going for Ozland too! forget the grease monkeys!

9:24 PM  
Blogger HeidiHeidiJoy said...

about FLIPPIN time you posted again.

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so sorry for the aussies... penalty schemeanalty!

11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home