Thursday, June 01, 2006

MELANCHOLY OF THE WEE HOURS

"It is well to be up before daybreak, for such habits contribute to health, wealth, and wisdom" - Aristotle

(Yeah, so I've heard STOTS.............but there's gotta be an easier way)

Well I guess I must concede..........I am not a morning person. I have mused over my lethargic inefficiency in the morning for many years. Finally in the last 6 months or so, it has become ridiculous. Mornings SUCK!! I find myself aimlessly wandering around the loungeroom, then the kitchen, then back in the bedroom, somehow oblivious to reality and the need to actually get in the shower, which will then hopefully wake me up. I've tried some different strategies in my attempt to defeat the habitual 'morning melancholy'.......setting my alarm earlier so as to embrace my morning stuper and gradually warm up to the day, but of course I then just stood there thinking about how stupid it was that I was already up when I could be still snoozing for another half hour........I tried leaving my alarm really late, so that I'd shock myself with adrenalin because of the rush factor, but of course then I forgot stuff that I needed to take (even with everything ready the night before).........I tried hot and cold showers, walking fast laps around the flat, even cuddling up to Peta and pretending time doesn't exist.

Now some may say its the result of too many late nights, far too much to drink and a general lack of exercise. However these factors are only minor influences on effective sleep habits. I recently did some research into this 'morning melancholy syndrome' and did you know that:
1. It doesn't matter what time you go to bed at night, you just need to go when you're tired -
2. You're not supposed to drink before going to bed.........but I've had some of my best dreams after a few glasses of wine, so bugger that
3. You should only exercise in the morning or afternoons cause otherwise your heart rate is too high and your nights sleep is stuffed.........well thats handy isn't it, I have trouble getting out of bed let alone putting the 'in-built undie' running shorts, wife beater and previously moist sweat bands on for a trundle around the local 'hills' AND THEN I work all day.
4. You should wake up the same time EVERYDAY not just weekdays...............well thats a bugger isn't it, cause on weekends thats half Peta and my quality time gone right there

So I guess it all comes down to self discipline. Can a relaxing, comfortable morning routine be attained? Is it possible to ever actually enjoy that part of the day, or even look forward to it?

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Getting very deep there Cooky, bit of a worry!! Getting up at random hours works for me, hit snooze on the alarm not at all, once, twice, or about seven times on those really annoying mornings.

7:15 AM  
Blogger HeidiHeidiJoy said...

Oh I cannot tell you how hard I am laughing right now. Tears are coming down my face. Aaron is looking at me asking me what could be so funny... It's so funny because IT IS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TRUE. Well, at least in that I totally relate to you. I just have to tell you this, having kids DOES NOT make you anymore of a morning person. Kids are a blessing from above, but lack of sleep (when I WANT TO SLEEP) is the number one downer. BUGGER THAT! Matt, you rock. Thanks for making me laugh!!!!!

7:56 AM  
Blogger Derek said...

mate, heidi must love you because i didn't think this was even a smile real big post, let alone the tears down my face comment.

but seriously, in that picture you dont look as happy as a basket of daisies.

ya drink coffee at all? this morning i took a massive dump as soon as i got out of bed and it woke me up better than anything else i've ever tried before... that may help...

6:15 PM  
Blogger Tom Read said...

So, Peta and your quality time is sleeping? Sounds like real quality ;)

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what Derek was talking about...I laughed so hard that I am almost choked(I am eating lunch!) I gave up,well, never tried actually, to make myself a morning person...morning is only enjoyable when you get to sleep in and wake up to buffet breakfast!

10:52 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Ma said...

You're SO FUNNY!!!!!!! Not a blog to surf to during work :P -Linnet

12:55 AM  
Blogger HeidiHeidiJoy said...

What? Peta made you change that crazy wigged photo? I think you should make your profile photo the one you took of yourself in the "morning"!!!

1:23 AM  
Blogger Matthew said...

oh my those comments are hard core.......
heidi: how did you know Peta made me change my photo?? you're psychic GIRRL
tom: sleeping is not all you do in bed mate.....;)
derek: sorry to disappoint....always next time
mandy: you go girrrl
linnet: have we made a date yet?
MAYBE TAGBOARDS ARE USEFUL AFTER ALL!

2:15 AM  
Blogger Matthew said...

reidy..........good to hear from you mate... what have you been up to? send us an email

8:59 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Ma said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Ma said...

I don't know Matt! It depends on when we can crash the rowse's! Is that after the world cup?? hey what is kinja?? I don't get it. -Linnet
ps- peta should start blogging :) about pets and desserts maybe :P

10:54 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

Linnet - Kinja is a program that lets you track whether other people's blogs have been updated......so you don't have to load up every blog all the time

8:48 AM  
Blogger Little Sis said...

Having grown up with you and lived with you it's fair to say that you have never, and will never be a morning person. I don't think any of the Cook's are for that matter. Even Dad's never up before 8ish these days - at least he has age as an excuse. Nice photo, a sight I've had the unfortunate experience of seeing on many a morning. Good to see that nothing's changed. Great Monday morning giggle though!

4:40 PM  
Blogger jana* said...

wow cooky... you are a blog machine!! look at all your comments! i'm not a morning person either... good thing there's no reason for me to get up most mornings :)

5:46 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

we can all see who sleeps on his left-side!! Love the mirror shot dude.

11:18 PM  
Blogger Nat said...

17 comments. Dude. You are the epitome of cool. Love love the self portrait...reminds me of that "shot" of the 3 of us on your bed...you know the one, when I was living with you guys...and that time that the computer guy came and it was on the screen...and it was really awkward...oh my. Funny times...yes you need a tag board - and so do I...how do we go about this?!?!?!? Anna G and I say WHATTTTUP...are you guys back yet?!?

4:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home